Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Hopeless Like A Hungry Crowd


When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.  As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”  Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.”   “We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish,” they answered.  “Bring them here to me,” he said.  And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people.  They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children.  -Matthew 14:14-21

There are times in my life when I feel as hopeless as a starving crowd of 5000 people.  Just as it seems impossible to feed that many people, sometimes I feel so lost, unmotivated, depressed, and unfulfilled that it seems utterly impossible to ever feel any other way.  I get so stuck that I can’t give anything to others either.

In the story above, the disciples saw a problem that was impossible.  There was no way for them to feed 5000+ people with what they had.  However, Jesus had a solution and it was simple: whatever you have, bring it to Me.  In this case they had 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish, and Jesus used that to make more than enough food for everyone.  They were all “satisfied.”

Right now, I don’t think I have anything that I can bring to Jesus.  But I do have myself and all the issues that go with me.  I can bring me.  The bread and fish that were brought to Jesus were not the best choices in the land.  In fact, the bread was barley loaves (food for the poor) and the fish were like sardines (tiny and smelly).  Nonetheless Jesus used the barley loaves and little fish and not only made enough food to feed the great number of people, He satisfied them so much that there were leftovers.

In this rut that I’m stuck in, Jesus has called me to bring myself to Him.  I don’t know exactly what will happen or what that even means.  But I do know that He can do what feels impossible.  He can use imperfect me in ways that will satisfy me so much that I will feel completely full.  And I’ll be so full that I’ll have leftovers to share with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment